The Mortigeist is BOUND....for now.

First LARP event: W...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] First LARP event: What should a guild offer?

1 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

We'll be writing some posts in the coming weeks about how people can go about starting a new LARP. First, we wanted to reach out to our community in order to get our players thoughts on how new guilds can put their best foot forward. We also thought this would also be a good opportunity to get some mileage out of our community forum voting/ranking system. 

What do you think is absolutely critical for a LARP guild to offer when they first get started? In game, out of game, anywhere in between. Answer below, and don't forget to upvote any questions you agree with!

1 Answer

I think that aside from the usual NPL speeches and first-game announcements new players get (on their first game being free, the second game character remort, etc) it would be really great if guilds worked on a new player lore pamphlet. Back when I first joined, I was told FOIG on a lot of things that any person who's lived in a setting for two decades should understand about their own world. Topics could include things like Local History, Local Government, and Cautionary Tales.

Obviously we shouldn't tell every new adventurer how to summon a demon or plot lore we want to be passed by word of mouth, but there's plenty of things that aren't really covered by the wiki or world lore forum updates that a character should reasonably know, like who runs the town or not to thank a true fae. You know, the things they'd be aware of as a local or been told as a child about the setting they're in. I know a number of people that have defaulted to "I was raised in the woods" or "I'm from a small town you've never heard of and with few ties to the outside world" because they were just a little too shaky on world lore to properly fit their character into the setting, and this seems like a way to provide some more lore content while the wiki is being fleshed out. It's also probably far more area specific and advice based than what our wiki will ever cover in detail.

I understand this would be a bit of an undertaking to both gather and approve the information that would be considered both useful and appropriate, but that's my two cents! An alternative would be some kind of vet player mentor system where someone could come in saying "I want to be this race from this area and this clan/tribe/etc, what should I know" but I imagine that would be even harder to organize and moderate.

He/Him. Transmasc in progress, please disregard mine bræsts.
Ralinwood: Ketilmundr Halfgrin - Einher, Mystic and Vitki, Chaos Enthusiast
Jericho: Tierney Oisin - Wild Elf, Apothecary and Druid, Friend to the Fae
Retired: Carrion - Human, Priest of the Nightkeeper, Ambassador for the Dark

Share: