Crowdsourcing: Bard's Song of Aversion call
Hey Underworlders!

We've received a lot of feedback requesting that we change the "Don't look at me!" call in Song of Aversion. We're happy to do that and we're taking suggestions on what it should change to - either the call itself or the mechanic of semi-invisibility.

Please post your ideas in this thread - thanks!

Song of Aversion
Pre-requisite: Occupation at 3rd Level
Duration: Concentration
This Occupational Ability allows for a Bard in danger to cloud the minds of his foes, confusing them to his exact presence and hiding him for a few precious moments. This skill does not grant the Bard true invisibility but it will obfuscate his person, causing all around him to avoid and ignore the bard for a short period. To activate this skill, the Bard must incant “Song of Aversion!” Once activated the Bard’s feet must remain stationary and for the next 15 seconds he must repeatedly shout at the top of their lungs “DON'T LOOK AT ME!”. While the skill is active all those around the bard, that can hear his voice know the general location of the bard within ten feet, but he will appear blurred and displaced. They will unconsciously miss if they try to blindly attack or swing wildly in the area the bard is hiding. This does not grant the Bard immunity to damage from Area of Effect spells or effects or the effects of Power or Command Words. This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save him from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase.
Edward Watt
Underworld LARP Canada - Co-Founder
Guild Jericho : General Manager
Email: comments@larp.ca
Playing as a bard, I found yelling "don't look at me" has the opposite effect. Where as "You can't see me" would be more to the point.

Still has the auditory effect of "the bard's in trouble" but explicitly tells the threat to the bard what they are experiencing.
Jericho: Asher (Gargylen), Navine (Wild Elf)
Ashendael: 2017 Head of Plot, World Shaper Council Rep
FB Crafters: Admin
OOG: Sarah Mersereau
From one of my players:
" i dont want to jump through all the hoops right now to make a post on that but the "you cant see me" i think is to inffernal cuz WWE's wrestler John Cena...."

I'm not familiar with this usage admittedly (further question reveals that it is his catch phrase), but will brainstorm other things I guess.
Jericho: Asher (Gargylen), Navine (Wild Elf)
Ashendael: 2017 Head of Plot, World Shaper Council Rep
FB Crafters: Admin
OOG: Sarah Mersereau
'Active Song of Aversion' Just like any Active ability/effect.

Bard puts their hands up in a surrender like posture, and must leave the danger area. Lets them walk 15 paces away and attacks will miss. Things that are immune to charm or mind affecting effects will not be able to harm the bard, but can follow and monitor the bard as they relocate. All others will ignore the bard's actions. the bard can take no hostile actions and must relocate as quickly as they are able. This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save them from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase.
_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
Christopher Robichaud AKA Weasel
- Head Ritual Marshal
(04-14-2017, 08:20 PM)WeaSeL242 Wrote: 'Active Song of Aversion' Just like any Active ability/effect.

Bard puts their hands up in a surrender like posture, and must leave the danger area. Lets them walk 15 paces away and attacks will miss. Things that are immune to charm or mind affecting effects will not be able to harm the bard, but can follow and monitor the bard as they relocate. All others will ignore the bard's actions. the bard can take no hostile actions and must relocate as quickly as they are able. This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save them from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase.

this negates the point of the ability which was designed not to protect the bard specifically but to allow them to place thier expensive rep somewhere safe which they can not do with their hands in the air.
Underworld Ashendael: Co-Owner, head weapon marshal and Template/ Favoured/ Rituals Shaper
Underworld Jericho: Weapon Marshal
Underworld Global: Rules Team
(04-14-2017, 09:40 PM)Shawn Loader Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 08:20 PM)WeaSeL242 Wrote: 'Active Song of Aversion'  Just like any Active ability/effect.  

Bard puts their hands up in a surrender like posture, and must leave the danger area.  Lets them walk 15 paces away and attacks will miss.  Things that are immune to charm or mind affecting effects will not be able to harm the bard, but can follow and monitor the bard as they relocate.  All others will ignore the bard's actions.  the bard can take no hostile actions and must relocate as quickly as they are able.  This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save them from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase.

this negates the point of the ability which was designed not to protect the bard specifically but to allow them to place thier expensive rep somewhere safe which they can not do with their hands in the air.

How is it negated in any way at all? 

The bard gets to walk away.. with their instrument, not being attacked.  Not shouting something stupid.  Before they had to stand in one spot shouting something dumb.  So what got negated?  Sounding stupid?  Seems it is better because they get to actually go put the instrument away.  Did you even read what I wrote?
- Head Ritual Marshal
(04-14-2017, 10:23 PM)WeaSeL242 Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 09:40 PM)Shawn Loader Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 08:20 PM)WeaSeL242 Wrote: 'Active Song of Aversion'  Just like any Active ability/effect.  

Bard puts their hands up in a surrender like posture, and must leave the danger area.  Lets them walk 15 paces away and attacks will miss.  Things that are immune to charm or mind affecting effects will not be able to harm the bard, but can follow and monitor the bard as they relocate.  All others will ignore the bard's actions.  the bard can take no hostile actions and must relocate as quickly as they are able.  This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save them from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase.

this negates the point of the ability which was designed not to protect the bard specifically but to allow them to place their expensive rep somewhere safe which they can not do with their hands in the air.

How is it negated in any way at all? 

The bard gets to walk away.. with their instrument, not being attacked.  Not shouting something stupid.  Before they had to stand in one spot shouting something dumb.  So what got negated?  Sounding stupid?  Seems it is better because they get to actually go put the instrument away.  Did you even read what I wrote?

The point of the ability isn't to remove the Bard fully from combat. It's not meant to be a 'run away' ability. More like a 'Hold on, my flute is out, let me put this in my bag so you don't hit it out of my hands with your sword' . 
"This skill is intended to give the Bard a few moments to put away their valuable instruments to avoid harm and /or hopefully allow their friends to regroup and save them from the attack. This ability is usable once per day per purchase."

I included that. Sometimes my instrument wont fit in my bag or is not made safe by me having to stand in one spot shouting like an idiot.

is the issue that you guys think the skill should NOT allow the bard to put something down 10 paces away?
- Head Ritual Marshal
I'll preface this with, I have not yet played a Bard IG. But I have looked into it as I do have a Bard in the system.
I quite like Christopher's suggestion, but I agree, if the first sentence about putting your hands up in surrender is removed it makes more sense.
The reason I really like it is that a bard's instrument can be his voice, or a small non-breakable instrument as well as something large and delicate. In the former case the only reason to take Song of Aversion is to get the later skills, which seems like such a waste. In the latter case I couldn't just put my violin on my back and have it be safe, even the slightest hit and I'd be afraid of it shattering. Keeping in mind I likely wouldn't ever bring my heirloom violins to game, even a cheap one I bought for game is still going to cost at least as much as a boffer weapon.
Kumari: Historian, Librarian, Royal Scribe for the City of New Lynnford, Master of Records for the new Mage's Guild of Estlemere
As others have said, having hands in the air means you can't put things away. The suggestion is prefaced with that, implying to me that this is what they immediately do to indicate an active Song. If I put my hands down to put away my instrument or defend myself from a stray blow, would that indicate the Song is over?

I am concerned about people abusing the steps and lack of time limit. A wily player will simply take their time packing up their instrument while packets fly before walking away. I don't think 10 steps is sufficient to escape close combat, especially if people can follow you, but any more and there is potential for players to use this outside of the spirit of the ability. Force a time limit and Bards will be pressured to book it ASAP instead of caring for their instrument. Forced to stay still? Gives a Bard time to put away their instrument, call for help, think of any defensive abilities.

I like the current incarnation. Bards are designed as a support class that relies on others for protection as they generally lack defensive or escape abilities of their own.

I would prefer a better call. "Active: Song of Aversion."
Home Guild Jericho
PC: Tienna Freefeather, Human Farmer
PC: Viv, Gnome Tinkerer