Rule discussion : Wild Elf Chosen Enemy
It's been proposed that we change the Wild Elf "Chosen Enemy" racial in the same manner that the Witch Hunter's "Hated Sphere" was recently changed. Originally the WH had to hate the sphere of magic in-game and was not allowed to purchase it or accept it's use by any means, even among friends. The WH simply trained and understood how best to combat this sphere.

Since the Wild Elf Chosen Enemy is a racial advantage not a racial disadvantage, it's been proposed that we make a similar edit to the racial as we did Hated Sphere. The Wild Elf would simply understand how to combat this type of opponent on the battlefield.

Chosen Enemy (Automatic): Upon character creation, the Wild Elf must choose one hated race that at some point
has done great harm to them, their family or the natural balance of the forest. A player can choose as their Chosen
Enemy, any of the playable races listed here, as well as Monstrous, Angelic, Demonic races, or even the Undead.

Once chosen, the Wild Elf will do their best to see that this race is wiped from the face of the planet. A
Wild Elf will not normally associate themselves with their Chosen Enemy’s race unless it somehow
furthers their goal of their Chosen Enemy’s destruction. The Chosen Enemy ability will grant
the Wild Elf a +1 damage bonus on any melee or ranged weapon while fighting against their Chosen
Enemy. This bonus will increase +1 for every 3 levels the Wild Elf gains. +1 at first level, +2 at
fourth level, +3 at 7th level and so on. This damage bonus will not carry over to any other race. Chosen
Enemy cannot be changed after character creation.
Edward Watt
Underworld LARP Canada - Co-Founder
Guild Jericho : General Manager
Email: comments@larp.ca
I WOULD BE VERY KEEN ON THIS.

It turns into a racial disadvantage a ton, depending on your hated race. Got a person of your hated race talking to you? You have to hate them. No friends for you. You can play it like you're waiting to stealthily assassinate them, but then you need to actually try to kill them. Or you can just be an asshole to them. Enjoy that reputation. Also a problem for non-aggressive wild elf characters or characters whose hated race is nice to them a lot. How do you justify still hating them? It's a racial advantage of 'bigot'. Of course, if you -want- to be super hateful, that's totally cool. Fun RP! Just make it an option not a requirement.

I realise I am very biased, but I don't see why what is intended to be an advantage should make your character into a bigot rather than make 'my character is a bigot' an option.
I am the Jericho player of the wild elf Lark. Rulebook/Wiki Editor and Ralinwood Shaper for 2017.
Gmail: cmercerrun (for wiki questions).
For rulebook questions, please use the global rules forum.
Do not contact me via Facebook.
I support this idea!

It'd be one less thing to be broody over Smile
It makes it feel more Rangery, ala DnD 3.5. That said, I really like the proposed idea, as no matter what you take as your enemy it can create illogical situations for a PC.
Let's put it this way - can anyone think of a reason NOT to make the change?
Edward Watt
Underworld LARP Canada - Co-Founder
Guild Jericho : General Manager
Email: comments@larp.ca
I am very keen on this change.
John G.
Jericho Player
From Michael di Tomasso, who is too lazy to post himself:

- People do what they want with it whether we change the name or not. I would prefer it stay hatred for flavour but ultimately there are next to no wild elves who play it that way and it can't be policed.
- Wild elf already has so many hidden negatives
- But this is a horror game and we keep removing hate-related stuff every few seasons. I like hate. I wish people did it more.
- I would definitely keep it called hated race but throw in the optional part as an after thought. Be sure to urge people towards the hatred part. Chosen just seems like it lacks conviction. Although it does add to the hunter thing.
I am the Jericho player of the wild elf Lark. Rulebook/Wiki Editor and Ralinwood Shaper for 2017.
Gmail: cmercerrun (for wiki questions).
For rulebook questions, please use the global rules forum.
Do not contact me via Facebook.
I'm intrigued in this change as it does open up a wealth of other options for a player to pursue. Currently in our guild the general rule of thumb is you can express your hatred in various forms from outright hostility to berserker rage, or work with your hated race if you can justify to yourself (and consequently Plot if required) that working with this race will further your own goals to destroy them. While restrictive it leant a very valid fear for those who know a Woad(Wild Elf) who had them as a hated race which I quite enjoyed.

I'm on the fence as i feel the change would take away one aspect of great RP and replace it with another aspect of great RP and I can't decide which i would like more.
i'd do this but swap it and the ranger 3rd level ability, makes wild elves more connected to the earth mother and ranger's especially effective against a specific enemy
Might as well, I don't think anything will appreciably change - I don't remember having ever interacted with a wild elf and thought 'their hated race must be X' because of their RP. If I didn't need to know OOG sometimes for mod-writing, I wouldn't know anyone's hated race at Jericho or Ralinwood. You only find out when you hear the big numbers in combat, assuming they are combatants.

So just like WH, its a quality of life / make the thing actually something people will do improvement and I don't see any downside. If people want to actually RP hating a race then they can do that on their own.

+1 for swapping it with Ranger's Gaia's int too. Makes a lot of sense.
- In Charge of Nothing / Head Piece of Human Garbage with Shitty Opinions